I love shoes. And I love babies. Put them together and I am in my element. I bought my first pair of baby shoes when I was sixteen. I didn't have a baby for another seven years, lol. They are a pair of tiny pink Weeboks. . I have two sons, they have gone completely unused.
I always imagined having a daughter and putting them on her. Confession alert...Both of my boys have sported the pink shoes in the privacy of their own crib, Matt has no idea. But, I don't have a little girl. I probably never will. And that is okay with me. God will bring my daughters to me in a different way. They will come to me through our sons in the form of a daughter-in-law. I already pray for those young women. But sadly, they will already be out of the pink Weebok phase by the time they come into my life. So, I'm back to my dilema...what to do with these little shoes.
About a year ago, my best friend gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I hemmed and hawed about the shoes. Maybe I should pass them on. My friend's daughter would look precious in them. I even got them out the night before her baby shower prepared to wrap them up. I sat in my closet holding the little pink shoes and the tears began to fall. Matt came in to find me (have I mentioned what a good and patient man he is) and he understood the problem. He told me that those shoes have come a long way with me, they might as well stay in the family. I am so thankful for him and the way that he gets me.
I love having two little boys. I love their honesty, their resilience, their sense of humor. I'm even starting to cringe a little less when one of them laughs at bathroom humor. I love my life. But somehow I can't close the door on the Weeboks. Maybe someday I will have granddaughters. I know they will look good in pink ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I have two tiny pink baby bracelets sitting on my closet shelf. I had them for about 8 years. I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to having daughter-in-laws too. :)
Aww, Jill! You keep those shoes, girl, you just never know when you might need them -- even if it ends up being for your granddaughters :o)
ReplyDeleteI'd say save them for your granddaughters!! BTW, I love the "Damn it!" story!
ReplyDelete