Someone asked me the other day, "What do you do for a living?"
I quickly responded, "I'm a stay at home Mom."
They kind of laughed and said, "Do you do it because you like it, or because you feel obligated?"
That question got me to thinking. Why do I choose to stay at home? Certainly our budget could be improved if I went back to work full time. And yet, year after year I make the same choice. I officially joined the ranks of SAHM Moms when Jackson was born almost eight years ago. For me, it was never a question. I always knew that was where I wanted to be...I'm so blessed that I married a man who supports me in my quest to be at home with the boys. That is where he and I both feel our family is best served.
But, back to the question. Do I like it, or do I feel a sense of obligation?
Well, let me put it this way.
Everyday, I wake up to a house full of my co-workers and they race to be the first to give me a hug. They fight over who loves me the most. I am surrounded by company opportunities, never mind if some of them are potty training, ABC's and the Golden Rule. Maybe I don't get any sick days, but my co-workers are very generous with their love and sympathy. Instead of collecting a pay check twice a month, I am rewarded daily with hugs and kisses. And in the moments that I am able to witness the bond that Hunter and Jackson share, another deposit is made into my heart. And at the end of the day, my business partner comes home to find a healthy, happy (although sometimes screaming) family.
So, yes. I like what I do. Honestly, it's more than that. I love it. This is my calling.
I have to go, though. We have an important business meeting to discuss the effects of Crayola on slipcovers. Let's hope we experience a breakthrough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment