Monday, June 25, 2018

We can do hard things: like go to the bank.


I have a confession to make.  Sometimes adulting makes me nervous.  Maybe I’m alone in that, but somehow, I doubt it.  It’s not that I’m new to the whole concept, because my birthday that’s fast approaching next month reminds me that I’m not.  And I mean, I’ve managed to give birth to and semi-raise three children.  I’ve signed legal documents, bought a house and made important medical decisions for other people that I dearly love.  So, definitely not a newbie at this thing called life.  And yet, knowing that I have to do things of the adulting nature is sure fire way to be sure that I’m going to feel queasy that day.  

Today was no exception.  I had to talk to people and take care of things and tie up loose ends on things that Matt was just unable to be there for—you see, Matt, he’s my security blanket.  He is an A+ adulter.  My computer tried to change that to adulterer.  Wouldn’t that have been a fun little mix up.  No, he is a terrific and faithful man.  He makes snap decisions with ease.  He handles money well and never second guesses himself.  He is the one you’d want by your side if you had to take care of business.  

And then, there’s me; the waffler.  I hem.  I haw.  I doubt.  But, that’s okay.  I’m a work in progress.  And today was a day that I knew things had to get done.  So, armed with my five year old by my side, we did just that.  Hey, even  Batman got a Robin. 

And as we were crossing the street from our last order of business, I grabbed her hand and said, We did it, Char.  We did all the hard things.  And that sweet little girl, who somehow thinks that I’m the one in charge, grabbed my hand back and gave it a little squeeze, “Of course we did.” I had to smile.  The faith of a child. Of course we did.  

Maybe that’s what you need today.  And I’m here to remind you, we CAN do hard things.  We can do adult things.  Even if they make us nervous.  Especially if they make us nervous. We can advocate and celebrate and speak up.  We can self promote and self deliver and we can just plain show up. And if you’re like me, you may need someone to hold your hand to get through it.  But, that’s okay.  You can be the very best you that you are meant to me.  Because, of course you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment